Self- respect means acknowledging your values and dignity. Self-respect means being satisfied with who you are and having confidence and pride in yourself. Self-respect is also valuing yourself and accepting not only your merits and success but your faults and failures as well.
Having self-respect isn’t only showing respect to yourself, but it also means gaining other people’s respect by treating them with honor and dignity.
The following is a list of 15 things that people don’t realize you’re doing because you have self-respect now:
1. Keeping away from people you dislike. No longer engaging with people who have a negative effect on you. It’s your right to choose who you will give your energy to, and to shun those who negatively influence you, which has nothing to do with impoliteness.
2. Not doing a job you hate. No one should do a job that makes them unhappy. There’s always a chance that a better and more attractive job will appear in the future. You increase your knowledge and skills and find something you’re good at.
3. Positioning yourself on top of the list. Before trying to make other people happy, you always make sure that maintaining your mental health and physical well-being is your main priority.
4. No longer blaming others for the way you feel. Yes, it seems difficult but you must take responsibility for your life. Our own actions shape our lives, and our happiness depends on them. In order to build quality relationships with people, you have to be aware of and accept your actions.
5. Stopping all communication with people that you don’t owe an explanation to. Another term for this is “ghosting.” Undeniably, it’s a sign of maturity to tell and explain to people why we’re leaving them. But, in cases in which you’re left with no option or you know that a polite explanation can make somebody argue and act violently, the best thing to do is simply disappear.
6. No longer giving justification for your actions to anybody. You don’t need to explain to people the reasons you’re dating someone or why you quit your job. You have the right to make your own choices and you don’t owe people explanations for them.
7. Going home when you want to go home. Doing something when you want to. Saying “NO” when the answer is “NO.” You don’t need to accept every invitation when someone asks you to go out. Moreover, you don’t have to make needless excuses for a “no thanks, I’m just going to chill tonight.” That doesn’t need elaboration.
8. Not accepting people’s insincere apologies if they don’t do anything to show that they really mean them.
9. No more people-pleasing. When you respect and honor yourself you know that it’s your happiness that matters. There’s no use in making other people content while producing contrary effects upon yourself. People should accept you for who you really are.
10. No longer persuading people to like you. You know your own worth. You’re aware that by valuing and accepting yourself the way you are, you’ll achieve a feeling of inner tranquility and completeness. You don’t need people’s approval of your actions anymore. As a matter of fact, you’ve started loving the fact that not all people like you.
11. Letting go of your past. Although you might have experienced negative things in life, you don’t let these control your actions and feelings. Instead of trying to change or forget your past, you focus on the present and do things which make you happy.
12. Being creative without caring about people’s reactions to it. You feel free showing your creativity while being led by your emotions and mind, and at the same time, you aren’t affected by what other people think or say about it.
13. Taking responsibility for your life. Instead of being unwilling and lazy, and waiting for somebody else to make and fix things for you, you realize that it’s your obligation to take action and accept all the opportunities life has to offer to you.
14. Being your true self. To be true to yourself is crucial. You act in accordance with your personal beliefs, values and morals without letting people change you.
15. You embraced a positive outlook on life. Although we’re all faced with difficult and sad situations every day, it’s vital to take a positive attitude to life. By having enough willingness, courage, and patience you can see how wonderful life can be.
Image: Julia Trotti